Pages

Friday, January 22, 2016

Here comes a blank I have been saving for a long while. This is one of the original T L Johnson blanks, made from fiberglass and with a scrim of graphite in the butt section. This pale colored blank was called Retro, and here is the 8', 5wt rod. Deep, progressive action with fast recovery and smooth very feeling. I finished this rod as a trade with a fellow here in Sweden, and he asked me to build it in Shimano Freestone style. We share the admiration for this old Japanese premium graphite series, and I have a bunch of them. The appointments are perfect, with great ergonomy and balance. I tried to mimic the reel seat and grip in detail, and came quite close. The hardware was turned in-house, and the color of the blank gives this rod a very classic look. I'm very satisfied with the outcome, and I hope it will get to see some good fish this summer.