Pages

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Here comes another special rod. The black DH rod in the middle was built on the same one-piece, 5' spinning blank as in the former post. A dear friend of mine is a highly experienced spey caster, and we spend a lot of time together on a small stream fishing for brook trout. My friend asked me if I would be interested in making a prototype rod with a spey grip on a midge sized blank. Being a one hand caster, I find this rather quirky. But for me, fly fishing is a place of intellectual freedom and exchange of new ideas. Sharing and exploring just about anything with dear friends. This rod has an all cork reel seat with a plain sliding ring in aluminum. It has two recessed hoods, one in the front grip for up-locking use, and one in the spey grip for down-locking. This is a concept I have decided to use on up-coming builds. It allows you to change the point of balance by simply moving the reel.