Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2015

This is the first Ijuin Yomogi blank leaving my work shop. I really can't tell why it took me so long, because I love Japanese glass, and these blanks are very well made and the tapers are amazing. All very different, and all very good at what they were designed for. This is a 5'11'', 3wt taper with a nice, parabolic action. It loads deeply, and it was originally designed to use when teaching kids to fly fish. The short length in combination with the obvious and deep action is probably perfect for a new beginner. I turned and knurled the skeleton from aluminum, accomplished with a butt plate in green rubber. The guides were wrapped with olive Pearsall silk, and I decided not to use a stripping guide on this one. I have another Ijuin waiting on the work bench, but it will have to wait until after the summer break.