Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

I receive a lot of email from all over the world with roadbuilding questions. People are asking where to begin and what tools to use, they want to talk about different lathes, rodbuilding machines and  3D-printing ideas. Sometimes I get the feeling that people spend more time thinking of how to machine stuff instead of just doing them by hand. Too prove this to myself, I decided to build a rod from scratch with only hand tools, no lathe and no fancy rodbuilding machine with a self-turning epoxy motor. I have all that gear, and I use it a lot, but sometimes it's nice to go really basic. This is an Asian 6'6'', 3wt blank that I happen to have a bundle of. I made a reel seat skeleton from electrical PVC tubing and shaped the grip with a Leatherman file and grit paper. The skeleton is a bit bulky, but on the other hand, it looks like ivory. Not bad for the cheapest material available. The reel seat grove was cut with a scalpel, the guides where wrapped and finished without engine, and the epoxy was hand turned only. You have no reason not to start building. It's all in the wrist.